Monday, August 13, 2012

Baby Steps

Mediocre- of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate. . Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill


I distinctively remembering seeing this word for the first time, and hating it. Like, legit hating it. I screwed my face up at it. Who would want to be this? The word itself just sounds yucky, and the definition makes it no better. I had to be like 8 or 9

At 27, my disgust for the word and everything it stands for has only increased. Mediocrity is the thing I probably can’t stand the most in the world. …

Actually, I take that back… People content with being mediocre is what I can’t stand most in this world. Kind of like the Guns don’t kill people, People kill people philosophy. I have tried for years to understand how people can sit back and be content where they are to the point where this is the end all be all. Who want nothing more for themselves but what they have. Who don’t push themselves to see how good they can get. Who are fine being average…

I know people who have gifts carved from the hands of Our Savior himself… and they treat then like moldy bread. It hurts my heart. It also makes me realize these people aren’t the ones that are supposed to be in my life. I dont think there is anything that special about me, but i make myself special. I make my self unique. I make my worth.

I’m not saying everyone around me needs to be CEO’s or celebrities… I could actually never say that because we wouldn’t be friends… I’m a bum. They’d drop me like a bad habit. But everyone around me has dreams, goals, drive… I love them for their ambition *wale voice*. How can support someone who has nothing to support? How can I expect support back if they don’t understand the need for it? Support is probably one of the biggest things to me in all my relationships. Platonic, Romantic… any other –ic kinds. That and effort.

Not everything goes as planned. We have all learned that the hard way. But, never losing site of a goal, always pushing forward, and realizing that there is more to life than being ordinary… That’s what I appreciate.

I say on here all the time…”Baby steps”. I say this cause even baby steps move you forward. That’s all that matters.

So even when you feel like your broke and you have nothing to show for you 20+ years on this earth, don’t use mediocrity as a supplement for the hope your losing. That’s just giving up the battle without a fight.

“Only the mediocre are always at their best.”

And to the people i allow in my life, know your anything but mediocre.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking volumes to me right now! This is why I had to let go of my most recent relationship. No goals or aspirations whatsoever, so he could never be in support of mine, we would never be able to grow together

    ReplyDelete