Monday, March 28, 2011

African Proverbs

So I knows is been a while but I'm back like cooked crack! (is it too early for the Fat Joe reference? BX stand up) I told y'all I was having a seat... but in the midst of that, I realized the chair was full of bills and other responsibilities that Ive neglected running around the city like I'm Diddy...

Its Life...so I digress...

Saturday I was tired and really didn't want to go out. However, I went with T.Lloyd, Papa, and Sasha. Thank God I did...I don't know if I have said this before, but I have spoke with some many people from Temple now, that I never said one word to while I was there. I honestly don't know why cause we share so many mutual friends. Papa is one of them (He said he thought I hated him... I guess my smile isn't as inviting as I thought). I LOVE Papa. From the first time we were formally introduced, last summer at the damn booty juice BBQ... I've loved him. He is a hilarious, intelligent, genuinely good man. We went for henney coladas, hookah, and one of the realest convos I have had in a long time. Maybe it was his unbiased tongue, maybe it was his man's perspective, maybe he is wise beyond his years, but whateva the case maybe he floored me in the haze of mint and mango flavored hookah...

Two things he said that made me pause and reflect...

He was telling a story about his female family member who was telling an older male family member about how she hated her profession... He said his older male family member who was watching TV, stopped, looked at her and said "The same tree you climb up, you must climb down" and went back to watching TV. Apparently she is a doctor now and loves it.

I complain about hating the position I am in all the time (stuck in a tree) and not knowing how to make things better. I guess its just as simple as just changing it (climbing back down). I dead ass just.never.thought.of.it.

The second thing he said almost made my cry in public (which wouldn't of been new for me). We were talking about me and David, and how I wish he would of been more involved with my friends. My friends are my family, and I always wanted him to come and spend time with me and them (even just a few times) just so I wouldn't have to choose. I mentioned that David always said to me "Your a different person when your around your friends" ... Papa replied (with all the seriousness in the world) "No, you were a different person with him"

Well damn...

Sometimes you just need to get slapped in the face to bring you back to reality. Papa may never read this, but he really gave me some insight and I love him for it. He also has swayed my decision to only marry a West Indian man. I have let African men into the running because our cultures are just too damn close..lol. And if I can find one half as good as Papa (and twice as tall... lol), He will have me making that Jollof rice and Puff Puff, and learning the native language with a smile on my face...

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment