Monday, August 30, 2010

Help

So I love to read. I dont know if everyone knows this about me... But I love to read. My grandfather is the smartest man I know, and when my mom became pregnant with me, and my father died, he retired working at Turner as the Head Construction Lead, and took on his new full time position, as "She She's Grandpa". He came from Antigua in 1962 and worked from the ground up with my grandma and provided this amazing life he created for my mom and aunts, and ultimately me. Somewhere in that head of his, he figured, if he started teaching me early, I would excel in school and wouldn't struggle like he had to. So every day, he would pick me up from school. he would have my fresh fruit salad (that he prepared before I came home EVERYDAY) waiting. Let me watch a half hour of my show then by 3 o'clock, no later than 3:30, I would start my homework. Because he made sure I knew my entire timetables by the time I was in kindergarten, my homework never took me more than an hour. So by 5, it was times for him to teach. My grandfather has read and RE-WRITTEN the Websters Dictionary and Encyclopedia (and when I say encyclopedia, I mean every book, A-Z). That's how he knew which words to pick out, that I had to learn. When I think about it, it was hell. I was rebellious as sh*t. I cried, kicked, screamed, begged for mercy... but that West Indian man was not having it. I also got no sympathy from my mom and aunts... they had paid their dues already. I would do this for 2 hours, in enough time to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune by his and my grandma side.

OK... back to the point..

Although, I had my designated lessons from Grandpa, you couldn't stop me from reading my favorite books... Gooesbumps. I read every single book they had out until I got to high school...

OK again, back to the point. Reading is my release. I read the whole Twilight series in a week in a half. And the only reason it took me so long is because I borrowed them and the girl took 3 days to bring one in. I read one book in 6 hours. So when my friends created a book club I was on it. I love reading new books, that I never would of picked up on my own, and throw in good food and some opinionated friends, and I'm in there.

This book up is the Help. I just finished reading it. I am not gonna give it away but I loved the book until the end. Maybe I'm being crazy and unrealistic, but I hate books/movies without a happy ending. I got too much sh*t going on in my life to think about the horrible sh*t that goes on outside my world. Especially when that sh*t is fiction. Damn, can I feel semi-happy, for a minute? Even if I am living vicariously through a a white peachy toned teenage girl who feel for the guy that was poorer than her. Here is another secret. I love sappy PB romantic movies. Jesus, take the wheel. I LOVE them. I still cry like a baby watching the Notebook. I need the happiness. I need the getaway...

What was the point of this post? Pick up the Help and only recommend books to me where someone happy in the end. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment