Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Would You Date You?

Dead Ass tho...

I was reading this blog my homegirl sent me http://jeandegrate.blogspot.com/ (its actually really ratchet, and y'all know I love some ignorance). As I was going throughout the post, I came across... "Would you date yourself?"...

Wait...

I looked up at my homegirl, with the epiphany look I always get in my eyes when something hits me like a ton of bricks and say "Oh"... The heffa is completely unfazed. She goes, "you never thought about that before?"... I wanted to reply "Obviously not hoe, you around me every day. I know you know this face is my revelation face". I just said "No" cause I aint want to cause a scene in Banes and Noble... they don't know us there like Panera. Lol

So fast forward to today. I told y'all in the previous post I was reading a book and came to the chapter "Would you date you?" and closed my kindle. I had to mentally prepare myself for the chapter. Plus, I was still on what is considered a date... but I finally asked..."Would I date me?"

Hell No. *sigh*

I am an unemployed 26yr old, who live with their Grandmother. I am stubborn, a bit jaded from the last relationship, whose main goal is to find where they fit in this world. I am about getting my money so I can finally achieve the goals I wanted to achieve by 25. I hang out with my friends (a lot). I make my family my number one priority. I really don't know where my life is going to even start in the direction of my future.

I sound like an 18 year old. smh. Its said but its true. If this were a guy, I'd probably look at him like "This bum nigga can't be serious". On paper, Im a horrible catch, dead ass. I am ok with admitting that. First step towards fixing it I guess. Lol.

However, me as a person.... just solely of personality...I'd date. I might even marry. I honestly think Im a good person... personality wise. Some people are amazing on paper, but when it comes to relationship, they they bottom of the barrel. Those stuff I mentioned before are light, honestly. They can be fixed easily with a new job and some more insight. Persnality and characteristics take a lot more to work on...

Someone said to me before that they are looking for a person they can grow with... I feel like thats my truth as well. I completely understand and agree. Growing with someone, I think, is what makes some of the strongest and lasting relationships I've seen amongst our age group. You get to see the good bad and ugly and decide if you can handle it. I honestly don't believe a year or two of dating can determine knowing someone and is "growing" with them. I was with my ex for 8yrs and that nigga is a stranger to me. Growing with the person doesn't mean it will develop into a future either. I grew with my ex, its just that we grew apart.

There was a part in the book that said she sent an email chain with that question, everyone said they may or may not but they all had stuff to work on, All except one man. His reply was "Id date me. Id marry me. Period" When she inquired why his response was:

“I would date and marry me because my heart is open to loving and caring for someone else. I want to share my life. I’m not perfect, and I don’t expect my partner to be, either. In fact, I think the imperfections are what make for a great relationship. I also know how to be a friend, which is another dimension that is much needed. I’m pretty confident I know what it takes to keep a good relationship together, and it has nothing to do with how often I go out, where I am financially, my diet, where I live, etc. To put it plainly, all that is required is a willingness to do the work . . .”

That shit to me is super deep. So now the question isn't "Am I dateable?". Its "Am I willing?"

And that I have not even the slightest answer for...

No comments:

Post a Comment