Monday, December 12, 2011

Purpose

So one of the recurring posts on this here little ole blog of mine is that I feel like I have no purpose. My friends are amazing people. God has blessed me with the friendships of future politicians, writers, actresses, CEO's, just creative talented ambitious spirits. I always wondered why i was put in the presence of these great people when I myself, had nothing to offer. Its honestly been one of the things thats made me crazy and weighed on my spirit for years to no avail...

Well, one of these amazing ass friends of mine is putting on a charity open mic, by himself... He is great. I look at @InDraperWeTrust and see him with the ambition for 10 people. He is an amazing friend (we been holding each other down since 2002), boyfriend (he dates my gorgeous girlfriend they happy cause of me!), work at a law firm, has significant goals and views, and is now putting this vision to life of his open mic for charity. He is definitely dope...

Anyways, we texting back and forth about the event. I know the event is going be great but I'm helping him anyway I can. He doesn't know this (well he will after he reads this) but joking around has helped settle one of the biggest issues I had had in my "adult" life.


Me- I wish I had a talent to help lol

Ron-LOL. Well your support is talent.
.

Negro what?!?! This whole time I been looking for a physical or tangible talent. A purpose you can see. I never thought of it being something others can feel. I never thought my talent could be support. I never thought me giving my friends with big dreams helping hands could be the meaning for my life. But as I read the text, I had a genuine epiphany. I haven't had one like this since I left my ex. One that makes me feel genuinely content. I have my dreams, but thats hair consulting and opening a shop. I was never the creative visionary, or the philanthropist. Hell, I don't even like being the center of attention. I was just there for my friends when they needed me. But that purpose feels enough. The fact that I had a hand in helping my family and friends fulfill their dreams...well... that, now, has become my dream. Knowing that they are genuinely content and accomplished, and I had a slight hand in it... wheher it be promotion, looking over papers, working over budgets, giving praise or constructive critisism or telling them to calm the fuck down cause they going to be amazing... I KNOW this is what I am here for. And I am content with it. I am actually brought to tears as I write this because it legit makes me happy thinking about all the people I can assist.

So Ron. Thank you... You've given me the perfect ending to this year of learning, by giving me a purpose. And all the support you will receive me throughout the future of our friendship will never amount to the gift you gave me with that text. Love you Ronnie Bop.



Here is the info for Ron's event. Hit him or me directly for information!

The "Renaissance Reborn": come check out talented up and coming singers, poets, musicians and spoken word artists, coming together to raise money for Charity. 1/12/12 @ The Brownstone Lounge (2647 8th Avenue in Harlem, NY) Happy hour from 7pm till the 8 o'clock showtime. Admission $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Email TheRenaissanceReborn@gmail.com or text 917.524.8892 for tickets and other information.

1 comment:

  1. Usually I don't do this but...[in my R. Kelly voice] I have to comment. I have been waiting for this day, since you broke off your engagement. The truth is, that you're the only one who doesn't know how amazing you are. You're the rock and that may seem like a boring position because it doesn't usually move, it's not flashy, and people usually take it for granted but THE ROCK HOLDS SOMETHING, (even if it is just a patch of grass) DOWN!!!! I have struggled with keeping your purpose to myself and being patient enough to allow you to discover it on your own and I'm glad that it came from an unsuspecting place (Ron, God bless you).

    You don't have to be anything but what you are. It may seem weird and unimportant watching everybody chase their dream but I'd be lying if I didn't say how admirable it is to be the person driving us toward that dream when we're tired, discouraged and weary. Your dream, your purpose is NO LESS IMPORTANT. I told you one day, that the only reason I'm thankful for your last breakup is because it created the space for you to love someone else. What I didn't say is that the space was for YOU. You are gifted in loving everyone around you, but your purpose helps you love yourself. I will, as many others should as well, take the blame for not getting you to this point sooner. We don't say thank you enough. We don't express our gratitude the way we should. We're not as good as loving as you are, please forgive us.

    I think I'm tearing up, but let me talk my sh.t. The thing is, that there is not a day that goes by that I don't imagine you by my side as I conquer my biggest, happiest,and saddest struggles. I don't tell you enough how much I love you for loving me. That's a damn job that no one and I mean NO ONE, can do like you.

    I'm glad that you have a purpose that brings you joy. I don't know anybody that wants to look into a crowd and not see their biggest supporter. I and the rest of your friends are EXTREMELY BLESSED, that when we look out into a dark crowd, we see your face looking back at us.

    ReplyDelete